Source: Anomaly Archives eNews 10/2/2017
The Anomaly Archives Weekly Email Newsletter
October 2nd, 2017 – Austin, Texas. . .
This weekend I gave a presentation to the monthly Anomaly Archives public meeting group (The Third Door) about my 2016 “Mystery Hum Experience” that I first publicly talked about with Mack White on our PsiOp-Radio show in April. I’ll have a video of this lecture to upload soon.
– BOOK OF THE WEEK
In the 1990s, while I was publishing my ELFIS zine and participating in multiple monthly local MUFON and Abductee / Experiencer support group meetings, I met a young woman doing primary research for her anthropological ethnographic dissertation. Many wonderful heady conversations were had and I was proud to have had the chance to interact with her.
Well, this past year her dissertation was finally published as an actual physical book which I highly recommend to true seekers within the UFO community.
Lo and behold… she has been awarded a great honor for this publication:
“The Gregory Bateson Book Prize is awarded by the Society for Cultural Anthropology, a section of the American Anthropological Association. Named after distinguished anthropologist, semiotician, cyberneticist, and photographer Gregory Bateson, the award reflects the SCA’s mandate to promote theoretically rich, ethnographically grounded research that engages the most current thinking across the arts and sciences. Welcoming a wide range of styles and argument, the Gregory Bateson Prize looks to single out work that is interdisciplinary, experimental, and innovative. In selecting the winners for this year’s prize, the jury, which consisted of Karen Strassler (Queens College, City University of New York; 2017 Bateson Prize Chair), Amira Mittermaier (University of Toronto), Lucas Bessire (University of Oklahoma), and Paul Eiss (Carnegie Mellon University), considered over one hundred books from more than thirty presses.”
Check out her book below…
– VIDEOS OF THE WEEK
I’ve recently digitized and uploaded 3 different promotional videos for the ill-fated 2001 38th annual National UFO Conference that unfortunately didn’t occur. We hope you enjoy this flashback to those heady pre-911 days.
– ANOMALY NEWS HEADLINES
Check out the other great news links in our headlines section below.
Find all of them and more at our Flipboard page: Anomaly Archives Flipboard.
Read on . . .
Poetics, Power, Captivity, and UFOs in the American Uncannyby Susan Lepselter
The Society for Cultural Anthropology (SCA) is proud to award the ninth annual Gregory Bateson Prize to Susan Lepselter for her book The Resonance of Unseen Things: Poetics, Power, Captivity, and UFOs in the American Uncanny (University of Michigan Press). In this exquisitely crafted ethnography, Susan Lepselter explores how the uncanny saturates the everyday among believers in UFOs in the American West. Rather than objects of elite disdain or sideshow curiosities, Lepselter’s interlocutors emerge as poets and theorists whose reflections on odd coincidences and eerie happenings offer a “strange mirror” on the experiences of late empire and late capitalism. Lepselter’s subjects rely on elaborate conspiracy theories and casual hunches to inhabit a landscape haunted by violent colonial conquest and the presence of a vast, “secret” military base. Deeply invested in an American mythology of freedom, they palpate the edges of the felt, the seen, and the known as they go about their daily lives convinced of the presence of pervasive but out-of-sight, alien powers—technology, the market, the state, the extraterrestrial.In writing that hews closely to the forms of her subjects’ language and thought, Lepselter evokes the affectively charged sediment of stories and memories whose persuasiveness rests not on logical coherence but on a set of potent resonances across seemingly disparate domains of experience and action. Enfolding her readers in a dense tissue of narrative fragments, she conjures a structure of feeling in which people experience a sense of confinement and a longing for release. Class, gender, race, and regional history indelibly inflect this structure of feeling. Yet in treating stories as mutating communal property that is continuously claimed and repurposed through creative acts of telling, Lepselter refuses to pin narratives reductively to singular subject positions or fixed social locations that would definitively author or explain them. Deeply informed by a wide range of thinkers from Jakobson to Freud and Foucault, Lepselter never merely applies theory but rather allows her ethnographic material to bend and rework it in unsettling ways. Both in form and in content, The Resonance of Unseen Things challenges ethnographic conventions, inviting us to examine our expectations of the genre and to explore modes of writing intimately attuned to the subjects we engage. Thanks to the support of libraries participating in the Knowledge Unlatched initiative, an open-access digital edition of the book is also freely available to read. Exemplifying ethnography’s potential to illuminate the political through immersion in the mundane and the apparently marginal, The Resonance of Unseen Things casts a startlingly penetrating light on our current moment.
The Resonance of Unseen Things: Poetics, Power, Captivity, and UFOs in the American Uncanny (University of Michigan Press)
- Read FREE Online PDF Edition HERE!
- Anthropological Perspectives of the Transformative UFO Scene by Susan Lepselter – ELFIS Issue 2, Fall ’94
- E.T. culture: anthropology in outerspaces edited by Debbora Battaglia
- The Flight of the Ordinary: Narrative, Poetics, Power and UFOs in the American Uncanny – 2005 PhD, Susan Lepselter, (University of Texas PDF) – Austin [Dissertation] (Scribd)
- Lepselter, Susan (Anomaly Archives)
38th National UFO Conference
30-Second TV Spot
38th National UFO Conference
Alamo Drafthouse Trailer #1
I believe this trailer did actually cycle at the Drafthouse before the event was cancelled.
38th National UFO Conference
Alamo Drafthouse Trailer #2
I am not sure but think this trailer did actually show at least once at the Drafthouse before the event was cancelled.
Here are some headlines of note for this week:SAI Anomaly Archives eNews
- Close Encounters of the Alchemical KindOctober 1, 2017
- The Complicated Legacy Of Fake News Creator Paul HornerSeptember 30, 2017
- Shag Harbour kicks off UFO festival, celebrating 50 years since sightings – NEWS 95.7September 30, 2017
- The curious case of the alien in the photo – and a mystery that took years to solveSeptember 30, 2017
- How to research the UFO phenomenon and stay saneSeptember 29, 2017
- Captured Flying Saucers: The North Hollywood Disc, July 10, 1947September 29, 2017
- Oz factor booksSeptember 29, 2017
- Sherman Skolnick: Conspiracy theorist from a pre-internet eraSeptember 28, 2017
- New Assessment of the Sheep-Goat Effect in ESP ExperimentsSeptember 28, 2017
- Killer-Clown Cold Case Leads to Arrest of Woman at Center of Florida Love TriangleSeptember 27, 2017
- Maine Woman’s Childhood Life with BigfootSeptember 27, 2017
- ‘Reframing the debate.’September 26, 2017
- Gen. Curtis LeMay on UFOs over Ancient EgyptSeptember 26, 2017
- Deciphering the Spirit Molecule: Dr. Rick Strassman on His Iconic DMT Research.September 26, 2017
- Philip Morris, 83, Dies: Bigfoot – Gorilla Suit Link Was Always WeakSeptember 26, 2017
- Nerve implant ‘restores consciousness’ to man in vegetative stateSeptember 26, 2017
- Saga Of Sean David Morton : Crimes, Cons, ConvictionsSeptember 26, 2017
- 2017 Texas Bigfoot ConferenceSeptember 25, 2017
- Sonic Attacks and Spy GamesSeptember 24, 2017
- Behind the Scenes at LA’s Mysterious Magic CastleSeptember 24, 2017
- Canada’s best-documented UFO sighting still intrigues, 50 years on September 22, 2017
- My Long, Strange Night With Rob Lowe September 22, 2017
- A STRANGE MYSTERY IN COLORADO: VETERANS LOSING THEIR HEARING SUDDENLY September 21, 2017
- US Navy ‘is running top secret programme to detect alien spacecraft under the ocean’ September 21, 2017
- The Einfield poltergeist. September 21, 2017
- World’s most famous ‘alien abductee’ Travis Walton slams sceptics – claiming 16 lie detector tests prove his story is TRUE September 21, 2017
- Lowe-cation: Habitat of the Wood Ape | A&E September 20, 2017
- An interview with September 20, 2017
- Rendezvous with Vallee: From UFOs (Unidentified Flying Objects) to UAMs (Unidentified Alchemical Manifestations) September 20, 2017
- Hunting the Skinwalker September 18, 2017
- Glitch in the Matrix: 1950s TV Show Featured a Character Named Trump Defrauding Simple Townsfolk with Promises About a Wall September 18, 2017
- Facebook says likely Russian-based operation spent money on ads on issues September 18, 2017
- Octlantis is a just-discovered underwater city engineered by octopuses September 18, 2017
- Slender Man stabbing: Anissa Weier found mentally ill September 18, 2017
- UFO Separation Anxiety; Is it possible to divorce ET? September 18, 2017
- Military swamped beach after spate of UFO sightings in new ‘British Roswell’ September 18, 2017
- #241 September 16, 2017
- Morton Facing More Time in Prison September 16, 2017
- The Cash-Landrum UFO Prime Suspect: The CH-47, Army Chinook September 15, 2017
- How 1,600 People Went Missing from Our Public Lands Without a Trace September 15, 2017
- The Sun Just Unleashed The Most Powerful Solar Flare In Decades and It Has Major Effects on Your Health! September 7, 2017
Check out more news links at the
[NOTE: Inclusion of news & event info is purely informational